anchorjoe

Building code and permits info

Hey everyone,

I am working on a project for a coffee shop and in my initial consult a question came up that I am researching, so I thought I would post the question out here. The question that came up was related to building permit requirements for installing a surveillance camera system. I have attempted to call the related city offices and have yet to get an answer. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Would a permit be required to install a camera system in a commercial type application. I am fairly confident that one is required for AC power type installations, but where most camera systems are low voltage/wattage I'm not sure.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million....

To my knowledge... I would say a permit is not required... but then again I am not sure...

There are certain building cabling codes that should be followed but as far as permits go for a basic surveillance system I would think not.

It's just like installing a PC for your business... proper codes do need to be followed for plenum safe cables in case of fires.

I hope I was some help

Thanks for the info. Do you know where I might look to find out what the installation specifics might be for cable routing, etc.? Thanks for the feed-back...

if there are no codes, follow the electrical codes and apply common sense. Only issues you need to really follow, in my opinion, is the use of Plenum and fire blocking. ie. If, and only if, the return AC air space is not seperated from wire (false ceilings where the return air is above false ceilings and cables are run in the same space) ie. drill a pass thru hole and fill that gap with fire proof caulk to prevent the spread of fire.

But, check with your local "inspectors". They will give the answer or should be able to get it.

And lastly, be careful what you ask for. Inspectors & codes are sometimes a pain in the arshe. They don't apply common sense until you apply more money. We don't have codes here and I try to stay out of the way of inspectors......

First off, not to be argumentive but codes and permits are two separate issues. Permits are dependent on your locale. State,county each have their own unique set of standards pertaining to contracting/construction/install of electrical devices within commercial/ residential dwellings. Some states require no license to perform the work or permit , however some areas you do need to pull a permit and be opened to inspection also there are States where you must hold a local lic. to perform the actual work. It is a local issue rather than a national standard in regards to permits. The refrence to "codes" Many in this industry refer to cctv as Low Voltage, and that is term thrown around a lot but in reality if you use the NEC as a guide and if your system exceeds the limits in Art 725, then it becomes a chapter 3 wiring method.To answer your original question: Licensing and permit to do work varies by state, and local jurisdictions, check with your local building department. Some states require that you hold a VDV. or LV lic. Some localities set categories of electrical work with specialty licenses (HVAC, elevator electrician, sign electrician alarm/cctv etc) This is not a code issue. Codes should be followed to insure safety, regarding all electrical wire methods. No matter what voltage. LV carries less potential for electrocution, fire danger still exists (overheated wire, arcs etc). With the rise in Data/Network commercial work and security type applications (voice/data/video) it falls in some juristictions under newer IBS standards referred to as Intergrated Building Systems. So whether you are a DIY or professional installer its agood idea to research often the all the changes in safe practice and old/new standards. Dont you want your Doctor to keep up all the latest information regarding your health.

thanks for the school'n

i agree that codes are equired for safety purposes but I'm not a fan of codes/inspectors.

codes are like taxes. some are needed and others not.

No lecture intended, just a heads up to the original poster. Ive had to deal with inspectors most of my past working life in construction (Heavy/Highway/Bridge-Tunnel) Some contracts, inspectors over inspectors Fed/local/State Some guys are OK, the ones that had a shovel in their hands at some point in their lives not just a college degree and a starbucks lunch bucket....if you know what I mean. Everybody though has a job to do and when it comes to safety I take pride in over 35 years on site, above and below ground I had zero issues with any of my crew or myself due to negligence on my part. But ive seen a lot of bad: electrical zapps, laborers crushed, and bridge falls.... enough to warrant outside inspection. Not everyone has the knowledge you have VSTman and cant "police" their own work and often a DIY or fly by night contractoras well a legit one can smoke a house or electrocute someone beside themselves, happens all the time.

Thanks guys for the helpful insight. I will continue my research on code requirements and see what I can find out on permits for my state. This project is my first new construction project and I want to make sure I do the right thing through the whole process. I know through my experience in electronics/electrical environments, "shock" can be a very bad thing. My main concern is whether certain entities need to be involved where camera's are typically a low voltage application, etc.

You insights give me a great starting point. Thanks again...

Good luck with your job anchorjoe, when you source codes using the NEC as a standard,"Low Voltage" is not a NEC term it falls under Limited Energy pertaining to Class of circuits. If you learn that you are in a area where permit is required and open to inspection interpretation and enforcement of such codes can vary by inspector. Always good to research they are not always correct, dealing with local building codes(your town/city/county) that is pretty much not a good place to be argumentive with inspectors.