DenZ

NEED HELP -- General Solutions DigiOp system.

I am new to DVR systems, however I know PCs very well. I recently aquired an old General Solutions DVR system. It is a 16 channel and had Windows 98 on it. The DVR Software was called GS POS. It was set to boot up to the DVR software in a level 5 user account(no access to any settings whatsoever). I had no way to log into an Administrator account, so I just wiped the system and loaded windows XP.

My problem is how do I identify the DVR Card so I can find drivers? The label on the outside of the system reads:

General Solutions Ltd.

DigiOp Model# 1516DESK

The DVR card is a Conexant Fusion 878a based card.

I'm not really sure what else to look for. I've tried a few generic drivers for Conexant 878 chipsets, but I can't get any video out of it.(When it had the original software installed on Win98 I plugged in a camera and it was working). Any help would be much appreciated.

Well.... I've identified the card. It's a Kodicom KMC-8016d. I hear that's not a good thing. Anyway, I'm just looking for drivers, I think I have DVR software that will probably work with it.

Heloder is a Kodicom goto guy on the forum, so he would know best.

Not sure but you maybe able to use generic software, wont be as good as the Kodicom original software though.

Also, since it had win98 on it, I imagine the PC maybe too slow to run XP as a DVR, might want to check that out and slap 98 back on if it is, dont want it running out of memory or using 100% CPU all the time until it ... crashed. Could also make up an Nlite stripped down version which would help on that slower PC though, but still might have memory issues with XP.

Rory

I wanted to get this thing working on the system it came with, but if I have to, I can put this card in a faster machine. I did add some RAM to the system. Right now, I'm just working on getting drivers for the capture card. Thanks for the help.

If you have the software it should come with the drivers?

Otherwise, could try the BT Drivers and then look at something like Luxriot, but that software is not free either.

You have an original DVR card. This gives you a license to use the original DVR software. However, you would need version 4.0.3.0 to work with windows 98. If you can find a faster pc running XP, I can provide you with free DVR software and drivers since you have an original board. However, version 4.13 PX is also 2 years old. If you wish to upgrade, I can give you the newest version 5.1. But with all things new and better there is a cost. Please contact me to let me know how I can assist you.

J

You have an original DVR card. This gives you a license to use the original DVR software. However, you would need version 4.0.3.0 to work with windows 98. If you can find a faster pc running XP, I can provide you with free DVR software and drivers since you have an original board. However, version 4.13 PX is also 2 years old. If you wish to upgrade, I can give you the newest version 5.1. But with all things new and better there is a cost. Please contact me to let me know how I can assist you.

J

Thanks a bunch heloder!!!! The software and drivers were a perfect match. I must say, my first visit to the forums here has been a great experience. Friendly, problem solving members and admins.... exactly how a forum should be run. I look forward to learning more about CCTV equipment in the future and I plan on hanging around here doing a lot of reading(and possibly asking a few questions). Thanks guys.

J

Thanks a bunch heloder!!!! The software and drivers were a perfect match. I must say, my first visit to the forums here has been a great experience. Friendly, problem solving members and admins.... exactly how a forum should be run. I look forward to learning more about CCTV equipment in the future and I plan on hanging around here doing a lot of reading(and possibly asking a few questions). Thanks guys.

heloder.... I have another question. I have seen it posted on several threads that Intel processors are recommended, what is wrong with using an AMD processor? or will it work?

I'm asking because this system(with Kodicom card) is a PIII system and it runs with Windows XP on it, but it runs really slow with XP. I have a spare system now with an AMD Athlon64 3200 and I was wondering if moving the card to that system might perform better, that is if it will work on a system with an AMD processor.

Again, thanks for the help!!!

The short answer is...... its not the CPU, its the MB chipset. While chipsets other than Intel will work, you might suffer a FPS loss, or odd things in the software. You also might want to look at upgrading to version 5.1.