mmehan

newbie, video problems

I have to set up security cameras around a construction site, so the first camera I put up is right outside my office. about 50ft. up a light pole. I am running coax for the video and catv for the power, pan, and tilt. The camera is getting power, but my video is extremely foggy and unfocused. I have the catv running to a RS485 adapter to a RS232 in the back of my optiview computer running widows xp. I can't get the camera to zoom or focus, pan or tilt in any way and can't get rid of this foggy picture. So I hooked up another camera in my office, using a short coax and the speed dome's own cables for the RS485 connection and power. I got the same problem, an extremely foggy and distorted picture and no controls at all. any help would be great.

what is the camera? if its not the ptz bubble fogging up or distorting the pic its the autofocus or autoiris not adapting - does it work inside with no issues? is it rated for outdoor? do you have any control?

it's an optiview speed dome and is rated for outdoors. the one I have inside is having the same issue. just a really dark, distorted picture. it worked fine (picture wise) for about an hour while I was fiddling with the rs485 cables trying to get control. so, appearantly the auto focus isn't working and I have no control of the cameras. can any one help me fix it?

What is your power supply and source, when you reboot the cam do you get a a standard diagnostic on the screen ( perhaps messages telling you Cam ID- Baud rate -Pan-Tilt origin and Cam COMM) For a dark distorted picture as you describe check the PSU voltage level at the dome and also check the RS485 and RS232 adapter termination for the control issues. Recheck your cam ID settings, baud rate, protocol- A hard reboot should show you a diagnostic screen, did you play with your settings, go to your menu and revert the cam back to factory Default. Could be a possible power related issue with the pic prob and maybe a hardwire prob with the control if your setting are correct.