xPaperTigersx

Ideal PTZ Day/Night Camera for outside of Garage protection

Hello,

I was wondering if the gurus know the best PTZ camera that functions as a day/night camera for an outer garage setup. I want to be able to see a driveway, gate, and the basic outer perimeter. Don't worry about the cost as much as how well you can see at night. Do these cameras need an infrared setup or what?

Thank you for the helpful knowledge..........

There are several PTZ cameras with excellent D/N ability. Although cost is not a factor as you stated, more important your layout would help in determining the camera. The distance you need to aquire a usable image,the environmental conditions as well the size of the camera itself (determining if you want a smaller footprint on the building...mini ptz vrs full size) and traditional PTZ or IP based camera. Panasonic PTZs have performed well for my installs as well the mini TBT (branded by others) with ircut are working well for compact placement. Added IR devices are based on the available or exsiting lighting. (and with a PTZ you may need to flood areas or use multiple IR, in some instances, though for you application I doubt it, mounted with a scanner - IR unit incojunction with the camera) Look towards the upper end for better warranty and support in buying PTZ cameras. There are several dealers on the forum who carry cams from Panasonic, Bosch, Sanyo etc. (some cams today have auto tracking features, wide dynamic ability etc..) Important to look for a outdoor (IP - Ingress Protection) rating for any enclosure/ptz cam as well.

thank you for the advice!

So without too much lighting id have to go with IR in conjunction with the camera? Do you have any Panasonic PTZ cameras you'd recommend? This is for a DVR Unit with a GEOVISION card. Environment wise I am in Southern California. The size of the camera isn't really a factor. I want to be able to see straight out from the garage and the driveway up to the gate which is approx 25-30ft from garage.

25-30ft you may be able to get away with using a Mini 10x PTZ if you are sure that a PTZ is the route you want go. IR for near zero light or enhance a dimly lit area but many of the cameras today can produce a good image in low light at that distance without the aid of exterior IR units, really depends on the lighting situation. Also with a PTZ using presets and tours or zoom to motion by external triggers or detect software,can be done but involes a lot of setup and can be problematic if you are in need of a critical security recovery. ( I have yet to try the panasonic with its new auto tracking, I am waiting for one of them to bench) Perhaps you can employ two static cameras and fit them with lenses that will target your specific areas of intrest. A ptz is great if you are going to be hands on and need to monitor areas on the fly but a lot of situations can get by with using static cams. Panasonic WV-CW964 is a quality camera as well the WV-CS954 (formerly the WV-CS854B) the latter would need to be put in a enclosure, the WV-CW964 integrates a weatherproof housing. The TBT mini is sold branded by a lot of dealers I get mine from Rainbow and use the 24vac versions. Tough little PTZ has withstood some very extreme conditions out here in Northwest Montana.

I just purchased 30x optical zoom High speed PTZ with WDR Day/Night from my vendor and they are great quality and very low cost. PM me, if you need the information of my vendor.

I canceled the PTZ route because of cost and re-evaluated my needs for home observation. For the price of 1 really good new PTZ, I was able to get 3 cameras with nice 5-50mm varifocal lenses to do what a PTZ can do. Now I have 3 cameras giving me non-stop recording at different distances and angles.

Now that i've tested 1/4" and 1/2" day/night cameras, I think 1/4 inch are pretty useless in dark situations without infra red lighting. 1/2 inch PTZ cameras wont' ever be a dome camera but as long as the obvious movement of the camera is not a detriment in any way I think it's so much preferable.

I was able to use my 1/2" day/night camera on moonless nights at no more than 4x 'sens up' , giving good exposure in a dark street. Now that i'm using a 1/4 inch day/night. i'm forced to use 6x Sens up, AGC on HIGH, and still the picture isn't as light as the 1/2", and this is with a moon out, I think 1/2 moon.

Just stay away from 1/4inch CCD for day/night cameras would be my advice to you, unless you're going to be using infra red illuminators that can cover all of you surveillance area.

Just remember 1/3inch CCD's absorb twice the light of a 1/4 inch CCD and 1/2inch CCD's absorb 4x the light of a 1/4inch. I think domes are crap for external night time situations, unless there's some form of good illumination.