ofekp

dvr software in vb6

hi,

I am tying to build a dvr program in visual basic 6, I need to see video from my dvr card inside a picture box in vb, so now I am trying to use directdraw 7 in order to get direct access to the video card memory, I was able to create the beginning of the code, so now I have a black rectangle inside my picturebox and I don't know who to continue...

Can anyone tell me how to get the video with directx, Or maybe there is another way to do what I want...

ofek

to play video from a dvr card you have ti access it's API - not the video card.

api doc's are normally provided by card's and/or video capture chipset manufacturer.

anyway it's not a task for a junior vb coder.

Best to use the APIs or SDK from the card manufacturer. If you dont have that, then you need to install generic drivers or something you can access.

is this for a local DVR server or just to stream the video over the internet?

VB6 really isnt the right tool for a local DVR server, would at the least need C++. Im a VB6 developer myself, its good enough for remote video, utilizing existing ActiveX Controls supplied by the manufacturer but not so great for what you want to do.

Anyway, if you are still persistent in using Vb6 to do this, try:

http://www.shrinkwrapvb.com/videocap.htm

I also have lots of code related to that found elsewhere on the internet, but it is primarily for webcams (picture boxes, motion detection, etc), however using generic drivers you can get it to work for a DVR card also. Only issue is creating more than 1 window and then switching between ports, thats where the issues arise using either method.

Rory

Thnx for your reply,

First of all, this software I’m building is not a server,

I just want to see video from my DVR card (DVS 12016) inside visual basic.

It works well in the original software but every time I try to see video in other software it tells me that no device has been detected...

I don't know where I can get a generic driver for this card to work properly with other software as well, and I don't know how to extract the video to vb6 (Perhaps DirectShow?).

As for the API functions, I tried to get the SDK, but to manufacturer won't give it to me, I know only the names of the functions I have to use and I have been able to call them, problem is, I don't know what parameters to call them with.

Appreciate your help.

Hi, unfortunately even with the SDK the only thing they give you for accessing the raw video is C++ sample code and even then the Geo main server software has to be open.

I think you'd better to use C++.

I'm a VB programmer before,in order to build a effective DVR system,I study the C++ and use VC 5 years ago.

If you need more sample,I think codeguru is a good choice.

Even if I did use VC++, I still don't know in what way I can make it work...

Should I use directshow?

directshow might or might not help if you'd try to use generic bt848/bt878-based hardware which is working with generic drivers and software - like standart tv-capture or something.

most of large dvr card manufacturers (gv, kodicom, avermedia, hik, whatever) on the market intentionally use non-standart drives and software just to protect from cloning.

How will I know whether my hardware supports this bt848/bt878?,

I tried once to generate a generic driver, I don't know if I set the settings well, but I know it did not work, and the manufacturer name did not appear in the settings options.

So you mean that I should have bought the bt based hardware in the first place?

sort of

real-time video processing is not a simple task

so you really should start with generic hardware and hardware (which at least has some freely available documentation) to learn your way around.

besides, without SDK you won't be able to do anything, and no manufacturer would give you SDK just like that - you have to be registered software developer/integrator to begin with.

you could find out whether you hardware has bt chip by pulling it out and examining the bigger chips.

I am not trying to make a DVR, but I am very interested in some of the expertise here.

I made a USB Gun turret and it worked great using a Webcam (or hauppauge WinTV cable and CCTV) and I coded it in VB6. The thing was very popular and the video got over 200k hits. The second version I wanted to use 4 cameras, so similiar to a DVR, but no recording necessary.

Like some have said in this thread, the simple methods for a single webcam (clipboard frames) don't work for multiple webcams. I am willing to go almost any direction with this, but would want to keep it in VB. Motion detection features will need to be coded against 3 of the cameras.

I am willing to buy different cameras, custom controls, etc as this is not an opensource project. I am not sure if OpenCV or RoboRealm would help with this. I am pretty busy with my automation software and this is just a fun side project that seems to be good at gathering interest and hits.

If it has to be done in C++, I definitly do not have the time. If someone even wants to take over the project, I would provide a turret setup in exchange for the help.

hehe, I know it is off topic for these forums, but I am a good ole boy who don't try to make money on anything and appriciate the advice.

check out my videos at youtube /ver0776 if you are not familiar.

Vaughn

the Virtual Crib