Hey all,

I have a very nice samsung techwin 740p camera (I am from the UK where PAL is used instead of NTSC). It outputs 540 lines during colour mode and 570 lines during black and white mode and that is a minimum output from this true 1/2" CCD day and night camera.

I see that the maximum resolution for geovision is 640 x 480 ? That means that only 480 tv lines are recorded right, and I might not have got an ultra resolution camera and would have been better off with sticking with a high resolution camera?

My point, is it possible to record in PAL resolution 720 x 576, or even 800 x 600 as that should capture all of the detail that the camera is outputting.

Please help because I've got three of these superb cameras to go up outside (Yes they did cost a lot) and I am looking for a geovision DVR that is suitable to integrate with a custom build dual core media server on a HTPC.

Thanks All,

Steve

Hi

GeoVision records up to 720x480 resolution. Due to compression methods you will loose some of that quality anyway, but the higher the resolution of the camera the less loss of quality. The camera you have is considered a normal High Resolution camera though, but yeah the word "ultra" is going around the web these days

Color High Res = 480/520 TVL

Color Mid Res = 380/420TVL

Color Low Res = 330/350 TVL

BW High Res = 570/600TVL

BW Mid Res = 420/480TVL

BW Low Res = 380/400TVL

Over 500TVL Color it is typically digitally enhanced, ive used the Sanyo which has had the 520TVL for over 5 years now, a 480TVL can be just as good and alot of times better, depends on the brand/model. There are other factors to consider. But the Techwin model is a good one, and thats 1/2" Exview with noise reduction which is even nicer. Good choice of Camera.

Dont worry, the high res will make a difference, especially when you blow the image up in playback.

Rory

Edited by Guest

You want to look at the Cameras Specs for Picture Elements or Total Pixels

For example, a high res Color or BW camera can be 811x508, while a 380TVL color can be 542x492 (NTSC).

AS for the 3CCD camera, if it is used in a DVR then they are loosing most of that extra quality. Those cameras generally have a PC output for use in Custom Applications (Machine Vision).